Saturday, April 13, 2013

National Poetry Month: Friendship Eternal

In honor of April being National Poetry Month, I am posting another poem from my 2008 book I Wear the Colour Green.  The video is from a release party hosted by my friend and fellow artist Gilberto Gonzales. I am reading the poem "Friendship Eternal," which was first read by the Valedictorian at my 1991 graduation from Marlboro County High School in Bennettsville, S.C.





Friendship Eternal


When the wings of time have brushed us,
And somehow have drawn us apart,
We may come again together
In the spirit and in the heart.

And when distance is a constant reminder,
We may turn back the wheels of our minds
And remember our days of youth clearly
As if for the very first time.

We may pray once again to hear laughter
As we once heard it many years before,
That the closeness and warmth that we’re after
Make ageless our yearning for more.

So I write this verse in the present
So the future will bring back the past,
And as words live on, so will memory,
And in memory, our friendship shall last.

Cedric L. Jones 
(I Wear the Colour Green ©2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment